(grade 3 “Kyōiku” kanji)
From Middle Chinese 次 (tshijH, “in order; second”).
Less common reading in modern Japanese. Superseded in most cases by ji; see below.
次 (hiragana し, romaji shi)
- next, secondary
Only found in compounds.
/si/ → /ʑi/ → /d͡ʑi/
Sound shift from shi above.
次 (hiragana じ, romaji -ji)
- number of times: an ordinal marker
- daiyonji keikaku
- the fourth plan
- number in a sequence, number of aspects or dimensions
- niji hōteishiki, sanji shiki
- a quadratic equation, a third order expression
次 (hiragana じ, romaji ji)
- (rare) order, sequence
Seldom found in isolation.
次 (hiragana じ, romaji ji-)
- (attached to nouns) the next, secondary, vice-
- jii, jichō
second rank, vice-director
- (chemistry) hypo- (used to distinguish the oxidation levels of various acids)
- aenso san, jiaenso san, ashūso san, jiashūso san
- chlorous acid, hypochlorous acid, bromous acid, hypobromous acid
Nominalization of the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “continuative or stem form”) of Old Japanese-derived verb 次ぐ (tsugu, “to be in a sequence; to follow, to continue from something, to be next; to connect, to join”).
次 (hiragana つぎ, romaji tsugi)
- next, order, sequence, below
- From the Emacs tutorial (English)
- では C-v （次の画面を見る）をタイプして次の画面に進んで下さい。（さあ、やってみましょう。コントロールキーを押しながら v です）
- では C-v （つぎのがめんをみる）をたいぷしてつぎのがめんにすすんでください。（さあ、やってみましょう。コントロールキーを押しながら v です）
- De wa C-v (tsugi no gamen o miru) o taipu shite tsugi no gamen ni susunde kudasai. (Sā, yatte mimashō. Kontorōru kī o oshinagara v desu)
- Now type C-v (View next screen) to move to the next screen. (Go ahead, do it by depressing the control key and v together)
Nominalization of the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “continuative or stem form”) of Old Japanese-derived verb 次く (suku, “to follow, to continue from something, to be next;”).
The verb form was obsolete even in olden times. Existence of the verb, possibly related to tsugu mentioned above, is inferred from placenames found in the Man'yōshū and other ancient poetry.
次 (hiragana すき, romaji suki)
- (Shintō) at the 大嘗祭 (Daijōsai) and other major Shintō ceremonies, refers to the group of regional representatives making offerings of sake and grain, who do so after the initial offering
/tugite/ → /tuide/
Sound shift from 次第 (tsugite, “order, sequence”), itself originally the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “continuative or stem form”) of now-obsolete Old Japanese-derived verb 継ぎつ (tsugitsu, “to do things in sequence, to establish an order”).
次 (hiragana ついで, romaji tsuide)
- order, sequence
- follower, successor; the next thing in a sequence
- a good opportunity to do something; doing something incidental to something else
The good opportunity sense is more often encountered as 序でに (tsuide ni).
1 2 3 4 5 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
1 2 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, ISBN 4-385-13905-9