- feminine singular of rio
Alteration of rio (“river”), or a borrowing from Spanish ría.
ria f (plural rias)
- (hydrography) ria (rugged coastal inlet)
- (hydrography) branch; inlet (body of water extending from or flowing into a larger one)
- first-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of rir
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present subjunctive of rir
- third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of rir
- third-person singular (você) negative imperative of rir
- first-person singular (eu) imperfect indicative of rir
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) imperfect indicative of rir
Probably from Finnish riihi (“kiln, grain drying cabin”).
- a dryer, a kiln to dry corn; a traditional Finnish/Scandinavian wooden building used for indoor drying of corn
- to dry corn in a kiln
- Den finska rågen stod högt i anseende till utsäde, beroende på att den fick stå ute att eftermogna i skyl, innan den riades, under det att den svenska vanligen riades omedelbart efter skärningen.
- The Finnish rye was highly regarded as seedcorn, because it was left outdoors to ripe in ricks, before taken to the dryer, while the Swedish commonly was dried immediately after harvest.