Eurasian elk, or moose (Alces alces)
North American elk, or wapiti (Cervus canadensis)
elk (plural elk or elks)
- (Britain) The largest member of the deer family (Alces alces); a moose.
- (Canada, US) The common wapiti (Cervus canadensis); the second largest member of the deer family, smaller only than a moose.
wapiti - Cervus canadensis — see wapiti
From Dutch elk.
- (rather rare, literary) everyone; everybody
- (in expressions only) Alternative form of elke (“every”)
- in elk geval — “in every (i.e. any) case”
Compare English each, West Frisian elk.
- each; every
- The Dutch determiners elk and ieder are perfectly interchangeable. They do not exhibit the slight distinction that is usually made between English each and every.
- (chiefly in expressions) everyone; everybody
- Melk is goed voor elk.
- Milk is good for everyone.
- Elk op zijn beurt.
- One at a time. (Literally: Everybody at their turn.)
Compare Dutch elk, English each.
- (singular) each, every
- (plural) some, many
Declension of elk
|| all genders