peise (third-person singular simple present peises, present participle peising, simple past and past participle peised)
- To weigh or measure the weight of; to poise.
- (figuratively) To weigh or take the measure of (an immaterial object).
peise (plural peises)
- A weight; a poise.
- (obsolete) A heavy blow, an impact.
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, III.ii:
- Great Ptolomæe it for his lemans sake / Ybuilded all of glasse, by Magicke powre, / And also it impregnable did make; / Yet when his loue was false, he with a peaze it brake.
- Oxford English Dictionary [edition?]
- peise in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913