gentil m (feminine singular gentille, masculine plural gentils, feminine plural gentilles)
- kind, nice
- good (about children, in the sense of good boy/girl)
- The first, literal sense is today in modern French either child language, or else rather derogative: the kind of "qualifier" one uses about people considered as lacking personality. It however used to be in classical French a genuine compliment about social qualities, which gave gentilhomme (“gentleman”).
gentil m (plural gentils)
- pagan, heretic
- apocopic form of gentile
- (somewhat archaic) elegant and generous; posh, stylish; generous
- Det var en utomordentligt gentil middagsbjudning.
- "That was a most elegant dinner party."