Webster 1913 Edition
Pertaining to chemistry; characterized or produced by the forces and operations of chemistry; employed in the processes of chemistry;
A substance used for producing a chemical effect; a reagent.
Webster 1828 Edition
chemical (not comparable)
- (obsolete) Of or relating to alchemy.
- Of or relating to chemistry.
- Of or relating to a material or processes not commonly found in nature or in a particular product.
relating to chemistry
chemical (plural chemicals)
- (chemistry, sciences) Any specific chemical element or chemical compound or alloy.
- (colloquial) An artificial chemical compound.
- I color my hair with henna, not chemicals.
- (slang) An addictive drug.
- The noun is frequently used in a slang and more specific non-technical way (2nd and 3rd definition) by the general public. Chemists and those who understand chemistry may gravitate toward the first, but the term "substance" is preferred usage.
any specific element or chemical compound
an artificial chemical compound
an addictive drug
terms derived from chemical