Webster 1913 Edition
alchemist; cf. F.
A person versed in chemistry or given to chemical investigation; an analyst; a maker or seller of chemicals or drugs.
Webster 1828 Edition
CHEMIST.[ See chimist.]
chemist (plural chemists)
- A person who specializes in the science of chemistry, especially at a professional level.
- 2013 August 10, “A new prescription”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8848:
- As the world's drug habit shows, governments are failing in their quest to monitor every London window-box and Andean hillside for banned plants. But even that Sisyphean task looks easy next to the fight against synthetic drugs. No sooner has a drug been blacklisted than chemists adjust their recipe and start churning out a subtly different one.
- (chiefly Britain, New Zealand) A pharmacist.
- (chiefly Britain, New Zealand) A pharmacy.
- (obsolete) An alchemist.
- (pharmacist): apothecary, druggist, pharmacist
- (pharmacy): chemist's (British), chemist's shop (British), drugstore (US), pharmacy (especially US)
person working in chemistry
pharmacist — see pharmacist
pharmacy — see pharmacy