ignore (third-person singular simple present ignores, present participle ignoring, simple past and past participle ignored) (transitive)
- To deliberately pay no attention to.
2013 July 19, Mark Tran, “Denied an education by war”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 1:
- One particularly damaging, but often ignored, effect of conflict on education is the proliferation of attacks on schools […] as children, teachers or school buildings become the targets of attacks. Parents fear sending their children to school. Girls are particularly vulnerable to sexual violence.
- To pretend to not notice someone or something.
- (obsolete) Fail to notice.
to deliberately pay no attention to
- Afrikaans: ignoreer
- Albanian: injoroj
- Arabic: تَجَاهَلَ (tajāhala)
- Belarusian: ігнарава́ць impf, pf (ihnaravácʹ)
- Mandarin: 忽視 (zh), 忽视 (zh) (hūshì), 忽略 (zh) (hūlüè), 不理 (zh) (bù lǐ), 不問 (zh), 不问 (zh) (bù wèn)
- Czech: ignorovat (cs)
- Danish: ignorere
- Dutch: negeren (nl)
- Esperanto: ignori (eo)
- Finnish: ei välittää, ei ottaa huomioon, sivuuttaa
- French: ignorer, ne pas prêter attention à
- German: ignorieren (de), missachten (de)
- Icelandic: hunsa
- Ido: ignorar (io)
- Interlingua: ignorar
- Italian: ignorare (it)
- Japanese: 無視する (ja) (mushi suru), 知らん顔する (shirankao suru), 軽んじる (karonjiru), 背を向ける (ja) (se wo mukeru)
- Khmer: មិនធ្វើដឹងធ្វើឬ (mɨn tvəə dəŋ tvəə rɨɨ), ធ្វើថ្លង់ធ្វើគ (tvəə tlɑŋ tvəə kɔɔ)
- ignore in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- ignore in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- first-person singular present indicative of ignorer
- third-person singular present indicative of ignorer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of ignorer
- third-person singular present subjunctive of ignorer
- second-person singular imperative of ignorer
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of ignorar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of ignorar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of ignorar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of ignorar
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of ignorar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of ignorar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of ignorar.