- for, for the sake of
- Tha mi fada nad chomain airson do litreach. - I am much obliged to you for your letter.
- Tha iad a' coimhead airson taighe ùire. - They are looking for a new house.
- A bheil thu airson falbh? - Do you want to leave? (literally Are you for leaving?)
- (before a verbal noun): desirous of, wanting to
- Tha iad airson falbh. - They want to go.
- The following noun is in the genitive form.
- When used with a personal pronoun, the appropriate possessive pronoun is put in between air and son instead:
- Rinn Cailean sin air ur son. - Colin made that for you.
- An tèid thu ann air mo shon? - Will you go there for me?