airbag (plural airbags)
- A protective system in automobiles in which when a crash occurs, a bag containing nitrogen, formed by the explosive decomposition of sodium azide, quickly inflates in front of the driver or passenger, preventing injury to the head. Side air bags, including the back seat passengers, also prevent injury.
- A similar inflated bag used in performing stunts, etc.
- 2005, Alan Tussy, R. Gustafson, Developmental Mathematics for College Students (page 1030)
- As part of a scene in a movie, a stuntman falls from the top of a 95-foot-tall building into a large airbag directly below him on the ground, as shown in Figure 15-3.
- (slang) A person who talks too much; a windbag or gossip.
protective system in automobiles
Borrowing from English airbag
airbag m (invariable)
- airbag (protective system)