- (of weather) hot and humid; oppressively sticky
- The day was sweltering, so Lauren put on the shortest pair of shorts she could find and went to get ice-cream with her friend Rob.
- present participle of swelter
sweltering (plural swelterings)
- The situation of being or feeling hot and humid.
- Northrop Frye
- It is truly a long way from Augustine's ultra-violet perspicacity to our swelterings in the intolerably sapping infra-red, but we are constantly plunging into deeper and deeper black and may rest our eyes in peace sometime.