specter (plural specters)
- A ghostly apparition, a phantom
- A specter haunted the cemetery at the old Vasquez manor.
- (figuratively) A threatening mental image
- Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto
- A specter is haunting Europe — the specter of communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this specter: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals and German police-spies.
- See also Wikisaurus:ghost
- specter bat
- specter candle
- specter shrimp
- first-person singular present passive subjunctive of spectō