miniature (plural miniatures)
- Greatly diminished size or form; reduced scale.
- A small version of something; a model of reduced scale.
- There was a miniature of a whaling ship in a glass bottle over the mantlepiece.
- A small, highly detailed painting, a portrait miniature.
- The art of painting such highly detailed miniature works.
- An illustration in an illuminated manuscript.
- A musical composition which is short in duration.
- Sacha composed a miniature for strings as a final project at the conservatory.
- (role-playing games, board games) A token in a game representing a unit or character.
- Jack had dozens of miniatures of Napoleonic footsoldiers painted in detailed period regalia for his wargames.
- Lettering in red; rubric distinction.
- A particular feature or trait.
1627, Massinger, Philip, “The Great Duke of Florence”, in Gifford, William, editor, The Plays of Philip Massinger, Act 5, Scene 3, published 1845, page 221:
- There's no miniature / In her fair face, but is a copious theme / Which would, discoursed at large of, make a volume.
a musical composition which is short in duration
a token in a game representing a unit or character
miniature (comparative more miniature, superlative most miniature)
- Smaller than normal.
2013 September 6, Alok Jha, “Miniature brains grown in lab”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 13, page 39:
- Scientists have grown miniature human brains in test tubes, creating a "tool" that will allow them to watch how the organs develop in the womb and, they hope, increase their understanding of neurological and mental problems. ¶ Just a few millimetres across, the "cerebral organoids" are built up of layers of brain cells with defined regions that resemble those seen in immature, embryonic brains.
- I find miniature dogs annoying; they seem to yap more than full-size dogs.
miniature (third-person singular simple present miniatures, present participle miniaturing, simple past and past participle miniatured)
- (transitive) To make smaller than normal; to reproduce in miniature.
- plural of miniatura