hance (third-person singular simple present hances, present participle hancing, simple past and past participle hanced)
- (transitive, obsolete) To raise, to elevate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Lydgate to this entry?)
Anglo-Norman, from Old French haulce.
hance (plural hances)
- A curve or arc, especially in architecture or in the design of a ship.
- 1974, Guy Davenport, Tatlin!:
- He wears a minimal white cotton brief, and is pleased by the hance of its pouch, a catenary dip as he faces the mirror, the profile navicular and ostent.