See also: Appendix:Variations of "o"
- A linking vowel inserted interconsonantally between two morphemes, to ease pronunciation, without contributing to the meaning. It frequently joins words of Ancient Greek origin but can also be used between modern terms and even abbreviations.
- extreme + -o- + phile producing extremophile
- speed + -o- + meter producing speedometer
- blog + -o- + sphere producing blogosphere
Category English words infixed with -o- not found
linking vowel between morphemes
Designated in the USAN guidelines for non-proprietary names of monoclonal antibodies.
- (pharmacology) a monoclonal antibody derived from a murine source
- -mab is the base suffix common to all monoclonal antibodies. (See that entry for full paradigm.)
- USP Dictionary of USAN and International Drug Names, U.S. Pharmacopeia, 2000
Category Czech words infixed with -o- not found
Category French words infixed with -o- not found
Adopted from the thematic vowel in Ancient Greek, often used to form nominal compounds.
In Ancient Greek, the connective suffix originates in compounds where the first member is thematic, such as (whence democracy), but was extended by analogy to other stems, such as (whence metropolis).
The suffix was borrowed as a connective into Latin, mainly in compounds of Greek origin.
The suffix becomes productive and forms new compounds in learned humanist Latin, from the 16th century.
The connective is especially productive in connecting ethnonyms or geographical terms; genuine Greek stems include Gallo-, and Syro-, but most are of medieval or modern origin, productive from the 15th century, such as Anglo-, Graeco- or Latino-.
- (post-classical Latin) Suffix forming nominal compounds (such as gallograecus (“Gallo-Greek”), from gallicus (“Gallic”) and graecus (“Greek”)).
-o- (Cyrillic spelling -о-)
- Interfix used for forming nominal compounds.
- kiš + -o- + -bran → kȉšobrān
- Genitival interfix indicating that the former part is a characteristic of the latter.
► <a class='CategoryTreeLabel CategoryTreeLabelNs14 CategoryTreeLabelCategory' href='/wiki/Category:Swedish_words_interfixed_with_-o-'>Swedish words interfixed with -o-</a>