whap (plural whaps)
- A blow; a hit; a variation of whop.
- (Scotland) the curlew.
whap (third-person singular simple present whaps, present participle whapping, simple past and past participle whapped)
- (transitive) To strike hard and suddenly.
- (intransitive) To throw oneself quickly, or by an abrupt motion; to turn suddenly.
- She whapped down on the floor.
- The fish whapped over.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bartlett to this entry?)
- A sudden blow; a variation of whop.
- whap in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913