- enPR: po͝ot'ĭng, IPA(key): /ˈpʰʊtɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: put‧ting
- present participle of put
putting (countable and uncountable, plural puttings)
- (obsolete) Instigation or incitement; enticement.
- 1736, Matthew Hale, Historia Placitorum Coronæ, page 353:
- ...and then if there be a putting in fear alſo, the clergy is ouſted in all the caſes mentiond in this ſtatute.
- The action or result of the verb put.
- enPR: pŭt'ĭng, IPA(key): /ˈpʰʌtɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: putt‧ing
- (golf) present participle of putt
putting (usually uncountable, plural puttings)
- (golf) The action of the verb to putt.
- (golf) A variety of golf in which balls are tapped into holes over short distances using a putter.