deerfly (plural deerflies)
- Any of various species of fly which feed on deer, principally in Chrysops.
- 2004, Richard Fortey, The Earth, Folio Society 2011, p. 161:
- When the sun comes out, it is totally delightful, except for the mosquitoes, and the blackflies, and the deerflies.
- 2010, Siddhartha Mukherjee, The Emperor of all Maladies, Fourth Estate 2011, p. 149:
- The basement was flooded and the couch was growing mildew, so we sat outdoors in the shadows of the trees in a screened tent with deerflies and mosquitoes buzzing outside.