- (Greek mythology) A son of Laius and Jocasta, who unwittingly killed his father and married his mother.
son of Laius and Jocasta
- Armenian: Էդիպոս (Ēdipos), Էդիպուս (Ēdipus)
- Catalan: Èdip m
- Mandarin: 俄狄浦斯 (zh) (Édípǔsī)
- French: Œdipe (fr) m
- Galician: Edipo m
- Georgian: ოიდიპოსი (oidiṗosi)
- German: Ödipus m
From Ancient Greek Οἰδίπους (Oidípous), apparently from οἰδάω (oidáō, “to swell”) + πούς (poús, “foot”).
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈoe̯.di.puːs/, [ˈoe̯.dɪ.puːs]
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈoe̯.di.pus/, [ˈoe̯.dɪ.pʊs]
Oedipūs m (genitive Oedipodos or Oedipodis); third declension
Oedipus m (genitive Oedipī); second declension
- (Greek mythology) King of Thebes, son of Laius and Jocasta.
|Third declension, Greek type.